All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 am 
GDB Pro

Hi everyone,

i am a graphic designer & from last 3 days i have some question in my mind about graphic design. I really need to know their answers and want your suggestion about it.

The questions are given below:

What Skills/Software knowledge do i need for Graphic Design Job?

What other jobs could i do with a Multimedia Design degree apart from Graphic & Web Design jobs?

What kind of Graphic Design jobs are out there?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:46 pm 
GDB Pro

:( I have a lot of reading for you here. But in the end it may help you decide.

Take a look at these pages:
US Dept of labor
This is a breakdown of the skills needed to be a designer.

University of Kent
This gives you a list of jobs that can be done with a multimedia degree.

And lastly :)Graphic designer job types.

Each of these pages should give you some insight to the difference between the two and their similarities.

Hope it helps

Dreamrage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 pm 
GDB Pro

Thank you Dreamrage for your quick response about my questions. well your research looks to me useful.

i have follow through these resources & it came to me relaxation stuff.

Thanks alot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:39 am 
GDB Pro

You're welcome. Glad I could help shed some light on the subject for you both.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 am 
GDB Pro

good resource shared by Dreamage & good points mention in his answers.

let try myself :D

What Skills/Software knowledge do i need for Graphic Design Job?
Graphic Design is nothing to do with software or computer programming. Software is just a tool; learning how to hold a brush won't turn someone into an artist;-)

So, the important thing is to learn how to express your creative abilities. Then, you'll need to become familiar with the tools for whatever job you want. For print, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign (or Quark Xpress). For Web, Fireworks and Dreamweaver, and perhaps Photoshop. Photoshop is the hardest to learn and use effectively, so spend most time on that. Only bother with Flash if you specifically need to use multimedia on web/CD - it's a different thing entirely, as are 3D applications which you might need if you do product design.

What other jobs could i do with a Multimedia Design degree apart from Graphic & Web Design jobs?
Multimedia, as you probably understood from your course doesn’t just consist of creating media for web sites.

Multimedia can range from creating a advertising clip for a company, to helping game companies arrange/design there new game intro clip.

What kind of Graphic Design jobs are out there?
You’ve asked a tough one! That’s like asking “How high is Up?”

As a graphic Designer, I have worked many different jobs. I’ve worked for sign companies designing signage, running their sign design and layout computer, sculpting the 3-D billboards, 3-D digitizing maquettes into the computer for eventual routing, painting, and designing silkscreen masks. I have airbrushed, designed layouts for newsletters, magazines, greeting cards, and so on. I have done so many things that I can’t even rememer! And the funny thing is, I studied scientific illustration, not design! Right now, I do 2-D cad which gets translated to G-codes to run variouse milling machines. It’s a lot of fun. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 am 
GDB Pro

A lot of interesting information here as well. Thank you for researching.

lol It seems that no matter where I am people think I am a guy :D sigh, I'm not going to win this. lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 am 
GDB Junior

Dreamrage wrote:
A lot of interesting information here as well. Thank you for researching.

lol It seems that no matter where I am people think I am a guy :D sigh, I'm not going to win this. lol

I can relate. People usually have the same misconceptions when it comes to my username :)

I just want to add that the information you guys found is amazing. I have been thinking about following graphic design, and this gives me clear cut options of what I can do if I decide to go back to college. Thanks guys. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 pm 
GDB Pro

Shadowfax wrote:
I can relate. People usually have the same misconceptions when it comes to my username :)

I just want to add that the information you guys found is amazing. I have been thinking about following graphic design, and this gives me clear cut options of what I can do if I decide to go back to college. Thanks guys. :)

Definitely. I might even look into a few myself really. One can never have too much knowledge. I learn new thing everyday and that keeps me on my toes and at the top of my game :)